With the holidays upon us, it is especially important to review security measures to prevent cargo theft. While most people will be focused on the holiday activities, the thieves will be working 24/7 looking for opportunities. No loads can be considered safe. Experts say truckers hauling consumer electronics on the weekend are at greatest risk. About 52 percent of all cargo theft occurs on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, according to a survey by the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies, and thieves' preferred cargo is consumer electronics, followed by food, and clothing. Your operations people and your drivers especially need to be even more alert during this time. Experts agree that the challenging economic climate will increase incidents of theft. Criminals may be enticed by the increase in the amount of loaded trailers and or product staged at distribution centers during the holiday season. The increase in product, along with a probable decrease in the numbers of personnel on duty, presents prime opportunity to attempt a trailer theft or burglary.
If you store loads in yards, how secure are they? Are there cameras that actually cover the sensitive areas like the gate, or entry and exit points? Do they work, are they checked periodically? Is there adequate lighting that is focused on the right areas? How is entry and exit controlled? How high is the fence? Are there guards present?
In today's environment, security needs to become embedded in our activities and in our organizations. Good security measures will help eliminate or minimize opportunities for theft.
- Drivers should remain vigilant and maintain communication with their dispatch while carrying out an extended stop at high risk areas such as truck stops and rest areas
- Loads should be staged at secure company yards whenever possible. Use all available security equipment to secure trucks & trailers while they are being staged. Air Cuff, King Pin Locks and Glad Hand Locks are recommended
- Confirm that alarm monitoring personnel have accurate contact lists and phone numbers for employees responsible for reacting to burglary alarm signals. An alarm response rehearsal is recommended for employees on the contact list. It is important that everyone know their duty in the
event of an emergency
- Be sure to be diligent about responding to alarms at all times and especially during the holidays
- Shippers that utilize covert tracking systems should geofence weekend staged loads
- Train your drivers to be alert on the road
Thank you and we wish you a happy and safe Holiday season.
Driving Ambition is a premier CDL truck driver staffing company serving Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Since 2001, we have specialized in matching safe, experienced CDL drivers for our customers and great job opportunities for our professional truck drivers.
Our commitment to safety and building solid working relationships with both customers and CDL drivers has allowed us to earn an unparalleled reputation with our Proven Drivers and Exceptional Service.